The Malta Tourism Authority STAR Awards
The STAR scheme for 2014 began on the 1st January 2014 and all nominations received till the 31st December 2014 are automatically included in the scheme. STAR performers of 2012 and 2013 will not be eligible for the 2014 awards. For the complete rules of the STAR Awards 2014 please view the Frequently Asked Questions.
The STAR Service Awards are an important initiative through which the Malta Tourism Authority is able to give public recognition to all those who work directly or indirectly in the tourism industry.
The process is completely tourist-driven and as an incentive for tourists to participate the MTA offers a free holiday back to Malta to one lucky winner. The lottery winner for 2012, a tourist from England who won a prize consisting of two complimentary return flights and accommodation for two persons on bed and breakfast basis. For full details on the nomination process please view the Frequently Asked Questions.
Establishments interested in participating in the STAR Service Awards may collect STAR nomination forms free of charge from the MTA Head Office in Valletta. Nomination forms may also be delivered directly to establishments. Kindly contact the Quality & HR Development Unit for more details.
STAR Service Awards 2013
The 9th edition of the STAR Awards was held on the 24th February 2014 at the InterContinental Malta. 6 STARS were awarded for excellence in service, while all the finalists received recognition. This was the result of approximately 6,000 nominations received from tourists during 2013. The 6 STAR performers, winners among hundreds of people nominated, each received a certificate, an 18ct gold lapel-pin and an €800 cash prize, whilst runners-up received a certificate and a €150 cash prize.
The winners of the STAR Awards for 2013 are:
1. Joseph Vella – Barman, Seashells Resort & Suncrest
2. Anna Azzopardi – Receptionist, Maria Giovanna Hostel
3. Joan Gaffiero – Tourist Guide
4. Mark Furnival – Diving Instructor, Paradise Diving
5. Mick Burbeary – Diving Instructor, H2O Diving
6. Chandru Mohnani – Owner, Novelty Shop
STAR Service Awards 2012 STAR Service Awards 2012
The 8th edition of the STAR Awards was held on the 21st February 2013 at the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa Attard. 7 STARS were awarded for excellence in service, while all the finalists received recognition. This was the result of approximately 6,000 nominations received from tourists during 2012. The 7 STAR performers, winners among hundreds of people nominated, each received a certificate, an 18ct gold lapel-pin and an €800 cash prize, whilst runners-up received a certificate and a €150 cash prize. The winners were:
The winners of the STAR Awards for 2012 are:
- Anthony Fenech – Bus Driver, Arriva Malta;
- Nathaniel Spiteri – Driver, KoptaCo;
- Catherine Abela – Restaurant Supervisor, Seashells Resort at Suncrest;
- Sonia Teuma – Owner, Maria Giovanna Hostel;
- Jesus Carillo – Diving instructor, Paradise Diving;
- Francis Apap –Taxi Driver;
- Doris Cusens – Tourist guide; and
- Chandru Mohnani – Owner, Novelity – finalist in the Shop Owner Category
For more information on the scheme kindly contact the Quality Development Unit on 22915273 or email@example.com or view some Frequently Asked Questions.