The MTA Gozo unit within the Marketing Division collaborates with the major stakeholders in Gozo to align and facilitate the marketing strategy of the destination.
The primary objectives of the work carried out by the Gozo unit are:
- To boost brand awareness of Gozo as a distinct, viable tourism destination.
- To increase market share and to grow business during the shoulder months (Particularly winter Nov – Mar) and increase visitors’ night stays.
- To promote Gozo as a luxury product for relaxation holidays & Spa
- To promote the ‘off the beaten track’ product i.e. Active breaks – cycling and walking holidays
- To increase growth of two-stay holidays
- Laying the groundwork to promote sustainable tourism/the eco product
- To expand CIT, small meetings and incentives business
- To develop the diving and culture and heritage markets (religious)
- To capture repeat business
The main tasks of the Gozo unit are to research, look for and attract new business to the Island, not only during the peak season but more so for the shoulder months and winter, through developing new niches to sell Gozo as a unique holiday destination.
The segment actively liaises with various operators to encourage them to either start or increase their operations to Gozo by offering them support, particularly for holidays based on activity and adventure. In addition, the marketing segments liaise regularly with the Gozo Tourism Association and, together, have embarked on a number of projects to try and attract more visitors to Gozo, such as organising a Seminar on Gozo’s tourism sector.
The aim of the seminar, held in November 2009, was to bring together international experts, Government officials, the MTA marketing team and the Gozitan travel trade (through GTA) to discuss and agree upon the way forward for promoting Gozo. The seminar was guided by Government’s stated objective of developing Gozo as an Eco-Island based on the principles of Sustainable Development.
The Gozo unit is constantly seeking new and varied ways to promote the island and makes use of various media to do so. Specific publications are created to be targeted at groups and incentive travellers to Gozo, a case in point being the production of a specific Gozo Mini guide to attract this Market.
The give-aways at these events have recently been branded such as pen drives, pre-loaded with information about Gozo and beautiful images of the island to allow portability, ease of access, speed and longevity.
In an effort to further promote Gozo, the unit was responsible for the creation of new brochures to promote the island and also supported the production of promotional materials and guide books by other entities or individuals such as the BRADT guide book and the ‘Gozo Adventures’ guide book, which includes a guide to rock climbing. For your Gozo Guide past and current issues please visit www.yourgozoguide.com.
Increased awareness of the importance of virtual marketing has led the segment to seek opportunities for e-marketing and on-line advertising and exposure, via on-line papers and magazines such as TTG.
Another essential role of the Gozo unit is to offer support and host numerous press and familiarisation trips to the island, and here it works closely with the Hospitality section to ensure that as many trips as possible are directed to visit Gozo and that visitors gain the best possible vision of it. The unit also seeks to encourage educational visits to Gozo to ensure that the island’s visibility remains as high as possible.
Raising Gozo’s profile overseas is critical to the success of the segment’s strategy, and sales trips overseas to make presentations about Gozo are undertaken regularly. In addition, training to travel agents is offered, based on the principal that if agents know about Gozo, they will market it better and successfully, more often.
The key marketing points the Gozo unit has built its strategy on are:
- Higher than average share of high-end product.
- 60% accommodation market – Villas/Farmhouses
- Rural, slower pace, off the beaten track product
- Ideal destination for leisure breaks
- Unspoilt and not as built up as Malta
- Safe and hospitable
- Wild terrain: greater potential for activity holidays
- Authentic travel experience
- World class scuba diving location
To download the new Gozo brochure click here.
For more information about the advertising rates of Your Gozo Guide click here.
Mrs Maryanne Portanier
Segment Head – Gozo
The visitmalta.com section on Gozo is located at: