The VisitMalta Division is responsible for the development, maintenance and continuous upgrading of VisitMalta.com - the official tourism portal for the Maltese Islands, in its various language versions. The division also maintains a CRM database of consumer and trade contacts, produces and publishes a regular electronic Newsletter, and carries out e-marketing initiatives in collaboration with other MTA departments and external partners. The division has also been entrusted with the task of keeping an up-to-date events calendar and to market local events online.
The functions of the Division include:
- Managing the VisitMalta.com portal, ensuring that all editorial content is maintained and updated to meet MTA marketing objectives.
- Producing, commissioning and procuring text, translations and audio-visual material as necessary to keep the portal fresh and appealing.
- Collating and disseminating site traffic and performance reports. Managing and analysing all website reporting requirements to improve business communication and provide a basis for further site development.
- Maintaining a customer database, comprising the portal registration contacts and other campaign responses, as well as offline sources, keeping to the highest standards of data protection and respect for privacy.
- Ensuring that portal customer registrations are captured and forwarded to the MTA customer database.
- Creating and publishing a multilingual consumer e-Newsletter and carrying out online marketing campaigns that make optimal use of the MTA customer database.
- Maintaining an up-to-date online events calendar.
- Assessing and responding to other online marketing opportunities, working with other MTA departments and the overseas network.
- Producing online marketing advice to transfer insights and experience as required to MTA colleagues in central and overseas marketing roles.
- Working with the IT department, website developers and hosting service to ensure that the portal is working optimally on a 24/7 basis.
- Implementing and managing search engine optimisation techniques for the VisitMalta.com website and its language/market versions, so that they are naturally indexed very highly by key search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and others.
- Coordinating search engine marketing activities, including pay-per-click campaigns.
- Setting up and managing online content distribution partnerships that will enable MTA to deliver its content to a larger audience of web users via other Malta information channels or generic tourism portals, ISPs and other high traffic sites.
- Managing all website redirects (in collaboration with the IT department, who is responsible for domain name registration and management).
- Sourcing relevant external links to improve overall link popularity of VisitMalta.com.
- Overseeing the destination’s online presence, including activities using social media e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Youtube.